Keeping Busy

By | Saturday, May 28, 2011 Leave a Comment
OK, so what is Sean up to these days?

Team Cul de Sac: Favorites
In support of Richard Thompson, I contributed a piece to an old school 'zine Craig Fischer has put together where a bunch of writer types yammer on about their favorite comics. The contributor list includes: Derik Badman, Noah Berlatsky, Johanna Draper Carlson, Shaenon Garrity, Dustin Harbin, Charles Hatfield, Jeet Heer, Gene Kannenberg, Chris Mautner, Jim Rugg, Chris Schweizer, Tom Spurgeon, Ben Towle and myself among many others. Plus it sports a new cover by Thompson himself. All the proceeds go towards Parkinson's research and will be available for $5 at Heroes Con in Charlotte, NC next weekend. More info can be found here and here.

Graphic Novels
The Salem Press encyclopedia moves apace; I'm working on my fourth and fifth articles for them now. My most recent ones cover My Mommy is in America and She Met Buffalo Bill (brilliant title!) and You Are Here.

Fantasy Fest 2011: Aquatic Afrolic
OK, this isn't really comics, but I had fun with it. I'll be attending a wedding in Key West, FL in October and the timing happens to coincide with an island-wide party called Fantasy Fest. Sounds like a slightly smaller version of New Orleans' Mardi Gras from what I can tell. Anyway, I submitted a poster design for the event, which I think has a fair chance of being selected as the official art for the year.

The Jack Kirby Collector
I'm actually ahead of the game (barely!) on this one and have already turned in my column for issue #57, which won't hit the stands until August. An interesting look at Jack's intertations (yes, plural) of Prester John. And, although not really scheduled into the magazine yet, I've done some research that, I think, will make for another cool article. I'll be looking at the third surviving script that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby used in their collaborations on the Fantastic Four and how that sheds light on the evolution of their working relationship. (Bet you didn't know there were three scripts that have survived, did you?)

MTV Geek
Kleefeld on Webcomics is still going strong and I'm having a blast doing these columns. Yesterday's piece was on comics about and for differently abled folks and the one before that looked the guest strip. I don't know about you, but I'm finding this stuff fascinating.

Endeavor
You know that space shuttle that'll be landing in a few days from a two week trip up to the International Space Station? I'm on it. Well, a picture of me is. It's part of NASA's Face in Space program. I'm not all that special in going, though; there are over 300,000 participants among all these last three shuttle launches. But it's another kind of fun bit so I thought I'd mention here, even though I can't get my official certificate until Wednesday.
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: