Comic Video Questions

By | Saturday, June 19, 2010 Leave a Comment
I've been looking, off and on, for some video footage I know is out there somewhere, but I can't seem to track down actual copies of. So I'd like to put the word out there to see if anybody might be able to help point me to where I might find copies of these (preferably online).

The 1954 Senate Hearings on Juvenile Delinquency
Part of the big comic book scare that spread throughout the United States back in the '50s came about, in part, because these infamous Senate hearings were televised. The U.S. public got to see Bill Gaines himself presenting his uncomfortable rebuttals to accusations against his graphic comic covers. I've seen snippets in various documentaries over the years, but my understanding is that these were originally televised pretty much in their entirety. Anyone know where I can see them?

Jackie Ormes on Kukla, Fran and Ollie
I recently discovered that Ormes made an appearance on the children's puppet show that ran between 1947 and 1957. Ormes was an active cartoonist for just about that entire time and theoretically could have appeared at any point. I suspect her appearance, though, had more to do with her Patty-Jo doll than her cartooning and that was produced from 1947 until 1949. That's pretty much all I know about the appearance though. Has anyone seen this, or know anything more about it?

Jack Kirby's Popeye cartoons
I believe all of the old Fleischer Studio Popeye cartoons have been floating around for a while, but I'm curious if anyone knows which ones specifically Kirby may have worked on. I believe he was only there for a brief period in 1939, but the studio released seven entirely new cartoons then and another in Janaury 1940, which was probably in production the previous year. (1939's Customers Wanted was made by editing two previous cartoons together, so it's unlikely that any additional animation was needed for that particular one.) Given the specific release dates, it seems likely to me that multiple cartoons were in production simultaneously, making the chances of working on all of the pieces small. But then again, Kirby was just an in-betweener and might've worked on short pieces throughout all of them.

Stan Lee's cameo in Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD
David Hasselhoff appeared as the title character in this 1998 made-for-TV movie. My understanding is that Lee was used as a SHIELD agent for a cameo; however, that particular scene was cut from the final film. I saw the movie when it first aired, and I believe it was released on DVD a couple years ago. But I'd just like to see that scene with Lee. Was that included on the DVD as an extra or anything?

Thanks for any information/assistance you might be able to provide.
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: