Who Wants To Watch the Superheroes?

By | Friday, July 28, 2006 Leave a Comment
So Who Wants To Be A Superhero? debuted tonight on Sci-Fi Channel. Stan Lee is hosting the show to find an American who has the values and personal intergrity to be a superhero. There's lots of talk about honor and doing what's right and...

Good grief, is it campy!

The contestants on the show seems to be taking things with the most deadly seriousness, while Stan seems to be sitting at his desk joyfully play-acting the part of a Charles Xavier or a Niles Caulder. His admonishments seemed to lack heart or sincerity, and yet the contestants were emotionally steam-rollered by them nonetheless.

A "secret Lair" above a warehouse? An "inconspicuous" stretch-limo Hummer with neon lights and a customized license plate that says "SUPERHRO"? Badly customized Blackberries called "communicators"?

Webster's definition of camp: "something so outrageously artificial, affected, inappropriate, or out-of-date as to be considered amusing."

I think it goes without question that the contestants are being made fun of. I think some of them might just get it, but I'm sure not all of them do. And I think that's what really bothers me most about the show. I can watch Adam West as Batman because everyone knew that it was supposed to be corny. But I think Who Wants To Be A Superhero is disrespecting those contestants who have put quite a lot on the line to be a part of the show.

I think the editorial stance of the producers is too subjective, and I feel sorry for those people who have wound up on the show. They're being put on display for public ridicule. While there's bound to be some of that on any "reality" or game show, I think it's much too prevelant here.

I think the real heroism that will be on display throughout the show is if/when the contestants can make it through the season with their dignity in tact.
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: